Thursday, January 10, 2019
Large antique dining tables can be used in versatile ways in modern homes. They are perfect for large family gatherings and entertaining friends at home.
Importantly, these tables were made to last for years with many available in hardwoods such as mahogany, walnut, maple, oak and teak, these are strong and sturdy and can easily survive years of wear and tear.
If you are looking for large antique dining tables
, here are a few tips that will help you buy the right ones:
• When it comes to choosing antique tables, knowing a bit about the available styles is always useful. Every table has properties and characteristics that are unique to its origin and the style period that it belongs.
• Small bumps and knocks add to the aged beauty of a table. They tell a story and become worthy features adding to the history. Imperfections can be restored and are absolutely fine!
• Choice of wood is also important and includes mahogany, oak, walnut, elm, pine and more — each with its bown unique properties, colour tones, grain and feel about them. Oak, for instance, leans towards a more formal look while pine with its lighter shades can have a more casual appeal.
• Shapes available can include oval, round, square or rectangular with extendable table options available which are functional in smaller spaces.
• Always consider the space available. You should ideally have 1m to 1.2m of distance between the edge of the table and nearby walls. Add this to the space that your 3 metre antique dining table
will require. If sufficient space is available, it will look super! The best way to see how much space a table of bigger proportions will take up is to mark the area with a bed sheet or table cloth giving you an accurate idea of the space that will be taken up.
• Consider the height. A dining table should be between 71–76cm from the ground to table top surface. Formal dining tables tend to be closer to 76 cm.
• Remember that transportation can be more complicated since these large antique tables cannot usually be assembled on the spot. At Elisabeth James Antiques, we do deliver but you should consider delivery and access, particularly apartments or houses with a narrow approach.
• Finally, when buying antiques, make sure that you go to a genuine dealer, check the restoration work completed and understand the history if possible for a particular item.
See our huge stock at Elisabeth James Antiques
. All tastefully restored and coloured to your exact requirements.